Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Shake Shake Shake

I've been craving kettle corn. Alton Brown says don't buy anything you can make at home so . . . I searched for a kettle corn recipe and found Sugared Popcorn on page 115 of my very old Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book.



This is it:

Sugared Popcorn

1/3 cup unpopped popcorn
3 tablespoons cooking oil
1/3 cup sugar

Combine popcorn and 1/4 cup water; set aside. In a 3-quart saucepan heat oil. Add 2 or 3 kernels unpopped popcorn; cover and cook over medium-high heat till kernels pop. Carefully add sugar and popcorn-water mixture; cover. Pop corn over medium-high heat, shaking pan constantly. Remove pan from heat to prevent sugar from burning. Makes about 6 cups.



I used peanut oil because that's what I have that isn't olive oil or almond oil or flax seed oil or sesame oil. Of course I followed the instructions diligently. I turned the pot's lid away from me and used it as a shield while I added the popcorn-water mixture so I wouldn't get splattered. The water seems to make the popped corn a little more delicately crispy than usual oil popped corn. Next time I'll add a little salt while cooking to get sweet and salty tastes together. I added some after it popped, but think it would be better as an incorporation. The process made a little mess of splatted oil on the stove top, but not a major clean up; just a couple of swipes with a hot, wet, soapy sponge. Some of the popped kernels turned brown from over cooked sugar; throw those away. I thought they would be good and taste like burnt sugar, but they don't. Overall, sugared popcorn made at home is pretty tasty.

Hey! Kat's eating popcorn!




. . . and cats like it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The kids and I made this today (2/8/07). It turned out more like carmel corn than kettle corn, but it was a big hit! And since the "glaze" was still sticky when the corn was first done, the salt stuck pretty well. -Robin

Anonymous said...

We've been making this a lot lately -- the kids love it. So, one day I tried making a double batch... it didn't work so well.
-Robin

Anonymous said...

I WANT SOME BAD

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous.

Anonymous said...

Trixie's STILL jealous............................................
.............now I am too. We're both jealous.